Earlier today, Bill Sharman passed away at the age of 87, but his legacy still lives on. As only one of three people to be inducted into the Hall of Fame as both a player (Boston Celtics) and a coach (Los Angeles Lakers), Bill Sharman decided earlier this year in March to raffle his 2010 Lakers championship.
The deadline to enter Bill Sharman’s “Ring of Hope” ring raffle is November 22 and the money raised will go to eight different charities, including five that are based in Southern California. Entry for the Lakers’ 2010 championship is only $10 and each person will receive five raffle tickets. To purchase your tickets and support these local charities, please visit www.billsringofhope.com
Here’s the press release via Bill’s Ring of Hope:
• Bill Sharman’s 2010 NBA Championship Ring. The ring includes two gold Larry O’Brien trophies representing the back to back titles, and the final score of the Lakers 83-79 Game Seven victory over the Boston Celtics on the side of the ring, in scoreboard fashion.
• Winner and Guest will enjoy two (2) premium tickets to a Los Angeles Lakers game during the 2013-2014 season (date to be determined).
• Winner will receive a travel allowance of $4,000 (if needed, if used) to put towards airfare, hotel and ground transportation for winner and guest.
• Winner will receive a cash prize in the amount of $8,146.25 to mitigate the Winner’s tax liability that results from winning the raffle. This prize is withheld and paid, on behalf of the Winner, directly to the IRS ($6,860.00) and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts ($1286.25).
• While this experience of a lifetime is priceless, the fair market value of the tangible prizes (2010 NBA Championship Ring, Lakers game tickets, taxes) is $18,800.00. Winner will be notified and does not need to be present at the drawing to Win.
Raffle tickets are $2 each with a minimum purchase of 5 tickets required and can be purchased athttp://www.billsringofhope.com/ or http://www.celebritiesforcharity.org/raffle/Bills-Ring-of-Hope-Raffle/ . Winner will be notified via phone or email.
Proceeds from “Bill’s Ring of Hope” raffle will benefit Toberman Neighborhood Center, Lakers Youth Foundation, Public Counsel, Angel’s Nest, James Worthy Foundation, Providence TrinityCare Hospice, West Coast Sports Medicine Foundation and Xcel University, Inc.
“I’ve had the honor and privilege of working with numerous nonprofits, especially the Toberman Neighborhood Center. I wanted to do something to give back and help support the important and life-changing work that each of these organizations are doing for our community” Sharman commented. “I feel blessed that I can contribute to the meaningful work of each of these wonderful charities.”[/showhide]