Before the Los Angeles Lakers took on the Boston Celtics on Dec. 5, Kobe Bryant and Rajon Rondo were seen having breakfast as they were discussing their battles in the NBA Finals. Shortly after, Rondo was traded to the Dallas Mavericks despite the Lakers inquiring about him.
With Rondo becoming an unrestricted free agent this upcoming summer, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban believes he can re-sign Rondo. Despite the confidence, Kobe Bryant says he will continue to recruit the All-Star point guard according to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald:
“No way,” Bryant said. “I’m not done. I’m not stopping until he signs an extension.”
With Ronnie Price currently the starting point guard, the Lakers are in need of an upgrade at the point guard position. Although the Mavericks traded for him, Rondo has previously stated that he would keep his options open and the Lakers are projected to have as much as $30 million in cap space this upcoming summer.
Since the failed Chris Paul trade in 2011, the Lakers have been looking for a point guard that can help Kobe play off the ball at this stage of his career. After playing with Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in Boston for numerous seasons, Rondo has shown that he is capable of making the right plays and putting his teammates in positions to succeed on the court.[divide]
Kobe, Lebron Talk About Going Against Each Other