Have you always wanted to work for Lakers Nation? Do you consider yourself an avid Lakers fan but also someone who can write and think objectively about your favorite team? If so, you could be the next Lakers Nation intern. Writing experience is a requirement, and those who have written about sports in the past will be given precedence. If you’ve been following Lakers Nation for an extended period of time, you probably already know that we’re looking for those that can work quickly and accurately, but with personality and knowledge.
Lakers Nation and our partners at SportsCity.com are hoping to find dedicated, hard-working individuals that are passionate about sports and looking to share that knowledge with the world. There are countless sports blogs out there, but what you will learn from Sports City & Lakers Nation will allow you to succeed not just in the world of online sports journalism, but also give you an advanced lesson in online marketing and social media practices as well. Basically, working with Lakers Nation and Sports City is going to be better (and much more fun) than your average ho-hum online sports blog.
Before Getting Started
Please consider some the following qualifications/requirements before proceeding to filling out an application (not all are required, but most are encouraged);
- Be able to write creatively, analytically and efficiently.
- Be internet savvy – basic HTML, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, Reddit and WordPress just to name a few.
- Familiarity with MacOSX & suite of apps.
- Have an interest in video producing, editing, etc.
- Ability to work late nights – sports news never sleeps!
- Knowledge of sports other than basketball.
- Over 18 (required).
Sound good? Let’s get started.
This position is one that will require a variety of skills and abilities. While the main task will be writing news stories from the world of sports, there are many other duties that go along with the position. On a daily basis, news articles will be required. Articles are approximately 300 words, and will regularly consist of different sports, so well-rounded knowledge beyond the four major sports is expected. In addition to news articles, a constant presence on social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and the ability to research and find stories are crucial elements to being successful in this position.
What You Can Expect From Lakers Nation/Sports City
- Exposure – Over 1 million combined followers on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Google-Plus, Instagram).
- Resume & portfolio builder.
- Proper credit for all work.
- Networking, connection opportunities.
- Opportunity to learn about online, new-age journalism including SEO optimization.
How to Apply – PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS
- Email your resume to mailbag [(at)] lakersnation.com with the subject line “Lakers Nation Intern”
- Email us a cover letter – Tell us about yourself, what you’ve done in the past and why you think you’d be perfect for this internship.
- Include brief writing sample focused on a sports news story of your choice.
- Bonus points for people who make a video of themselves and include that YouTube link in your email.
*Note: sample articles that include spelling, grammatical or factual errors will be immediately discarded, so double-check your work!