After a 2012-13 season that was marred with injury, Steve Nash admitted it was the toughest year of his career. But that hasn’t stopped him from exploring charitable efforts off the court this summer. Each summer, the Steve Nash Foundation puts together a Showdown, which takes Nash and some of the top NBA and soccer stars from around the globe and puts them on the pit for an exhibition soccer match for charity.
It’s an event that has been held in New York in the past, but due to Nash’s affiliation with the Lakers and the help of their sponsors, Showdown will have an additional friendly in Los Angeles on July 14. It’s an 8-on-8 match that has been running for six years now, and in the past has included Nash, Thierry Henry, Claudio Reyna, Tony Parker, Adrian Mutu, Grant Hill and many more. It’s a great opportunity for basketball and soccer fans to see some of their favorite players square off in the heart of Los Angeles.
Here are the details for this year’s Showdown in Los Angeles:
- What: Steve Nash Foundation presents Showdown: Los Angeles – 8-on-8 soccer friendly featuring NBA, pro soccer stars
- When: Sunday, July 14 @ 6:30 pm
- Where: Salvation Army Red Shield Youth and Community Center (West 11th Street between Valencia and South Union in downtown Los Angeles)
There is also an After Hours event, that will let you meet and mingle with some of the stars of the game, and give you a chance to meet some of your favorite professional athletes.
How do you get tickets? Here are a few options if you want to see the action up close:
- Standing Fieldside VIP & After Hours Package ($150 donation)
- Seated Fieldside VIP & After Hours Package ($300 donation)
- Compete in the event yourself ($25,000 donation)
You can get all the details on the official Showdown page for more information on tickets and the history of the event.